The “Libertador Simon Bolivar” Container and Multipurpose Terminal, located in the Port of Guayaquil, is operated by Contecon Guayaquil S.A., an Ecuadorian company established on May 4, 2007 and part of the multinational group, International Container Terminal Services, Inc.
EMPTY FIRST TIMELINE
In 1950, the city’s south was set as an ideal spot to build a new port.
On April 10, 1958, President Camilo Ponce Enriquez signed an Emergency Decree that allowed for the creation of the Autoridad Portuaria de Guayaquil (Port Authority of Guayaquil). It also set the legal base for the port’s construction.
After great efforts, on January 31, 1963 and during the government of Carlos Julio Arosemena Monroy, the Maritime Terminal was finally inaugurated with the arrival of the “Ciudad de Guayaquil” vessel from the Mercante Grancolombiana S.A. fleet.
On May 31, 2007, the Port Authority of Guayaquil signed the concession contract for the Port Public Service in TCM Container and Multipurpose Terminal of Guayaquil, in favor of Contecon Guayaquil S.A., a subsidiary of International Container Terminal Services, Inc.
On August 1, 2007, Contecon began operations, providing services and port activities.
On December 3, 2019, an addendum to extend the concession was signed until the year 2046.
As of today, we are still Ecuador’s most important port.
The Libertador Simon Bolivar Port is located on the west coast of South America, in the Estero Salado estuary, 10km south from the city’s downtown. It is found in the following geographic location: